Title: from Emily Dickenson’s “I’m nobody! Who are you?” poem.
I’m a do-er: a “let’s-fix-this-mess!” kind of person. So when I encountered the “everyone/no-one is gifted” meme again this week, I immediately started pondering what I can do about it. And I smacked headlong into something I’ve been wanting to do for a while.
I want to hear from you. But not you – not really. I want to hear from your kid. Your gifted kid. The one that feels like they can’t really tell anyone who they are because people will get defensive. The kid who hides their giftedness in public. The kid that you’re so proud of for everything they accomplish – be it something society values greatly or learning to tie their shoes.
I want to share these kids to the world – or blogosphere – whichever you prefer. To keep things simple and cohesive across the series, I’m coming up with a set of questions for them to reply to. A starting point, if you will. You parents can scribe, read the questions to them, or plop them in front of the computer and let them do it themselves if they desire. I don’t care – as long as they want to reply, and they don’t give any personal details. Pick and chose questions or do them all – whatever you want.
I’ll publish them here as part of the series – and post them over at Gifted Homeschooler’s Forum page (if the admins approve.) It’s past time we show the world that our kids are awesome!
1. What is your passion or your current interest?
2. What is the one thing you wish you could tell the world about being gifted?
3. What is your greatest strength, and your most difficult weakness as a gifted kid?
4. Are you homeschooled, in a gifted program, or mainstream school? Which one would you prefer if you were offered the choice?
5. Do you want to hide being gifted or celebrate it?
6. Do you have a mentor? And if so, has that helped you grow and learn as a person?
7. What’s the one thing you want to accomplish before you become an adult?
8. If you were able to instantly change the word “Gifted” to something different, what would you pick? Why?
9. What do you want us to know about you?
10. If you were given the chance to be on the first colony ship off earth, would you go? Why?
11. Are all kids gifted?
12. Tell us what it feels like to be you.
How to reply: fill out this lovely form (first names only please!) – I promise I don’t sell your information (I don’t even know how to do that!) or send you weird emails. You can copy/paste your answers or link a blog with your post for me to read. Looking forward to hearing from you!